1. Frozen – $31.6 million [2nd week; $134.3 million] Disney’s latest animated effort heated up in its second week knocking Jennifer Lawrence’s blockbuster from topping the box office for a third week. This should remain a Top 5 fixture despite a slew of films coming up in the next few weeks largely because while they may be award contenders, none have wide appeal for families.
2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $27 million [3rd week; $336 million] I underestimated the strong word-of-mouth “Frozen” would get after a solid first week as I figured “Fire” was a lock to three-peat. Still, it’s not like HG hasn’t already made its presence felt at the box office as it’s earned $673 million worldwide.
3. Out of the Furnace – $5.3 million [debut week] This was the only significant new release of the week but despite a stacked cast including Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck and Zoe Saldana, audiences weren’t feeling this one much.
4. Thor: The Dark World – $4.7 million [$193.6 million] – The superhero action blockbuster continues on its path to $200 million.
5. Delivery Man – $3.8 million [3rd week; $24.8 million] Vince Vaughn’s comedy managed to get back in the Top 5 for another week.