1. Frozen – $20.7 million [7th week; $297 million] Icy weather throughout the nation must have prompted families to see a similarly theme movie. Its journey to the top is especially incredible considering its battled two major blockbusters in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.”
2. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones – 18.7 million [debut week] – The “Paranormal Activity” spin-off had a solid opening and won Friday night, but wasn’t able to topple the winter season’s biggest hit.
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $16.2 million [4th week; $229.6 million] – Bilbo and friends fell to #3 after wrapping 2013 with three consecutive weeks atop the box office. With few big releases coming up in the next few weeks, look for this to maintain its position in the Top 5.
4. The Wolf of Wall Street – $13.4 million [2nd week; $63.2 million] – Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio’s latest drama swapped spots with the other Oscar contender this week as it continues its march to the $100 million mark.
5. American Hustle – $13.2 million [4th week; $80.7 million] – The drama comedy dropped a spot this week, but is well en route to hitting $100 million and will no doubt get an added bonus as the Oscar nominations start rolling in.