1. No Good Deed – $24.5 million [debut week] – Like our fearless box office prognosticator Fred predicted, Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson had their biggest opening weekends as headliners en route to an easy box office win. With a very modest $13.2 million budget, the film has already made a sizable profit. The real question will be how it holds up next week. If it’s like recent thrillers like “The Call,” it could have a significant drop in its second weekend.
2. Dolphin Tale 2 – $16.5 million – [debut week] Experts thought it would be a tighter race for the top spot, but the sequel to the 2011 surprise hit failed to match the original’s $19.2 million haul. With fewer options for families, this should have a solid place among the Top 5 for the rest of the month.
3. Guardians of the Galaxy – $8 million [7th week; $300 million] – The summer and the year’s biggest hit continues to roar and has now has reached $612 million worldwide.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – $4.8 million [6th week; $181 million in total] – Paramount’s second biggest success of the summer (behind “Transformers: Age of Extinction“) has shown surprising staying power in the Top 5.
5. Let’s Be Cops – $4.3 million [5th week; $73 million] The buddy cop film looks to have enjoyed its final week in the Top 5 and will likely wrap its run just shy of $90 million.