1. Avengers: Age of Ultron – $77.2 million [2nd weekend; $312 million] ‘Ultron’s’ success would be gang busters for any other film, but it remains in the shadow of its predecessor, which made box office history with a $103 million second weekend.
We all pretty much considered it a given that ‘Ultron’ would become the new box office standard and could possibly challenge ‘Avatar’ as the all-time champ. Instead, we’re realizing just how impressive ‘The Avengers‘ box office run really as and that it’s going to take a very special movie to beat the $623 million domestic haul of the 2012 hit. In some consolation, ‘Ultron’ is on track to beat the worldwide haul of the original as it’s on track for $1.51 billion putting it behind ‘Avatar’ ($2.8 billion) and ‘Titanic’ ($2.2 billion).
2. Hot Pursuit – $13 million [debut week] Way out in the distance was the Sofia Vergara/Reese Witherspoon collaboration. Its final numbers might change as it could have a better than anticipated Sunday thanks to Mother’s Day crowds.
3. The Age of Adeline – $5.6 million [3rd week; $31.5 million] Blake Lively’s romance drama continues holding down third place and also could reap some benefits from Sunday audiences.
4. Furious 7 – $5.2 million [6th week; $338.4 million] Even in the face of ‘Avengers’ ruling the box office, Vin Diesel and company are still holding their own. Worldwide, the film has hit $1.5 billion.
5. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 – $5.1 million [5th week; $58.1 million] Kevin James’ comedy is plugging along, but now it can’t boast being the No. 1 comedy in the box office anymore.