1. Tomorrowland – $32.2 million [debut week] Moviegoers opted not to take time away from BBQs and lounging by the pools to see George Clooney and Director Brad Bird’s latest project.
With an $180 million budget, it’s going to be tough for Walt Disney to make much of a profit here. Disney probably didn’t do itself many favors by making the plot of the movie such a secret to the point that people had no clue what it was about.
2. Pitch Perfect 2 – $30.3 million [2nd weekend; $125.4 million] The battle for the top spot was close with the musical comedy taking the lead on Friday before getting lapped on Saturday.
3. Mad Max: Fury Road – $23.8 million [2nd week; $87.3 million] The operatic action film fell one slot this week and is still facing an uphill battle to recoup its $150 million budget.
4. Poltergeist – $23 million [debut week] The horror remake of the iconic film only has a $35 million budget so it’s performance was solid even if it hold true of most horror films and has a sizable second week drop.
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron – $20.9 million [5th week; $404.1 million] The sequel to the highest grossing comic book film of all time is now No. 16 on the domestic charts and No. 8 on the worldwide charts