With Maxwell Lord, Dr. Light, the Cyborg Superman and Jimmy Olsen along for the ride, Supergirl is going to be filled with characters from across the DC Universe.
Today, CBS revealed its first look at another hero — the Red Tornado (played by Iddo Goldberg) — who might not exactly be a friendly face when Supergirl initially encounters him. The initial online response has not been kind for obvious reasons…
But to be fair, I figure there’s at least three things I can come up with that are positive and limit my complaints to just three (I think) Let’s see how this blows (sorry)
Three things I like
- It’s red and the T in the middle definitely makes it clear this is the Red Tornado.
- There was an actual effort to mimic the comic version’s red and gold color scheme
- The headpiece actually looks kinda cool
Three things I hate
- The patchwork pieces look like the work of a beginning cosplayer trying to be comfortable instead of making an aesthetically pleasing costume.
- It’s another overly busy revision of a simple, classic costume. If anything, a robot should have been the easiest design of all the characters for the show.
- For a first appearance look, this is oddly way more complicated than I would figure a character design for a robot would ever need to be.
Here’s the official description from CBS
RED TORNADO is the most advanced android the world has ever seen. Designed by scientist T.O. Morrow for the U.S. Army as the ultimate superweapon, he soon becomes sentient, posing a grave danger to National City — including the people Supergirl cares about most.
Supergirl debuts Oct. 26 on CBS.