1. The Martian– $55 million [debut week] Matt Damon and Director Ridley Scott’s sci-fi adventure blew away the competition this week and boosted its chances for Oscar nominations.
“The Martian” came in a close second to the all-time October record holder, “Gravity,” which earned $55.8 million thanks to the benefit of IMAX.
Second best was a theme for the film as this marks Damon’s second best opening trailing only “The Bourne Ultimatum,” which opened to $69 million in 2007. This was also Scott’s second best debut behind “Hannibal,” which earned $58 million in 2001.
2. Hotel Transylvania 2 – $33 million [2nd week; $90.5 million] Last week’s champ didn’t fare too poorly in its second week holding up well as it remains the main attraction for families.
3. The Intern – $17.7 million [2nd week; $36.5 million] Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro’s comedy also had a steady hold on its sophomore week.
4. Sicario – $12 million [2nd week] The drug crime thriller opened wide this week expanding from 59 theaters to 2,620. Like “The Martian,” “Sicario” has higher aspirations than simply earning a solid box office haul as it looks to cash in with award nominations later this year.
5. Maze Runner: Scorch Trials – $7.7 million [3rd week; $63.2 million] The Maze Runner sequel is nearing the end of its domestic run and should finish around $70 million.