1. Don’t Breathe – $26.1 million. Made for a mere $10 million, Screen Gems latest thriller sparkled in its opening weekend. The film benefited from stronger than normal reviews and positive word of mouth. This should be a player next week as well.
2. Suicide Squad – $12.1 million ($282 million; 4th week) DC’s worst heroes ever finally got dethroned after a three-week reign. Worldwide the film has now earned $351 million.
3. Kubo and the Two Strings – $7.9 million. (2nd week; $24.9 million) Laika’s newest animated effort had a decent hold from last week’s debut.
4. Sausage Party – $7.6 million. With a $19 million budget, Sausage Party has been one of the summer’s biggest hits.
5. Mechanic: Resurrection – $7.5 million (debut week) The Mechanic has never been a major box office player, but it continues to pull in crowds on the strength of star Jason Statham.