Figured it might be helpful to provide this feature for readers looking for Amazon’s most in-demand items. This week we’re going to look at the Top 10 Best Selling Movies currently on Amazon.com. Amazon typically has some of the best deals for films in their opening week release and subsequent month while the interest is high. Besides a pair of animated classics, the best selling list is not surprisingly recent films from 2016.
1. Captain America: Civil War 3D – My favorite film so far in 2016 saw Captain America and Iron Man battle it out with their respective teams. The Russo Brothers ensured all of the characters got significant screen time and shine resulting in Marvel’s best effort yet. As always with the Marvel films, the 3D transfer looks even better at home than in theaters so this is the version I’ll be getting next week.
2. Captain America: Civil War [standard edition] – Perhaps not too surprisingly, for all those who don’t like 3D the standard definition version of Civil War gets the runner-up spot.
3. The Jungle Book – another of my favorite movies of 2016. Jon Favreau’s take on the Disney classic roared bringing a newfound energy and sense of realism to the tale of Mogwli and friends.
4. Beauty and the Beast
6. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [standard edition] — While I thought the theatrical version was unfairly judged, the home video version is a much improved effort. The Ultimate Edition is definitely worth seeing especially for people who were scared off from the critical backlash. Give it a shot and don’t be shocked if you actually enjoy the film.
7. Now You See Me 2 – I was a big fan of the first one with its sleight of hand filmmaking and cool tone. The sequel lacks much of the original’s charm and just feels like one of those obligatory sequels because the first film was an unexpected hit.
8. Star Trek Beyond – Although it’s the third highest grossing entry in the series, Beyond fails to really do anything different. Maybe it’s just the waste of Idris Elba (in his second film on the list) as the film’s villain or too much action, but something didn’t fully click here.
9. X-Men: Apocalypse – Far and away my least favorite film on this list and one of the worst blockbusters of 2016. Apocalypse wastes all the goodwill from X-Men: Days of Future Past with a bloated cast, incomprehensible script and repetitive action sequences. This could have marked a new start for the franchise. Instead it just served as a reminder how vital Hugh Jackman is to the success of this series.
10. Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season – For longtime viewers of the show, season 6 was the most fan pleasing. Beyond some of the series’ worst villains finally getting their comeuppance Season 6 featured some of the best episodes of the entire run. Three episodes easily come to mind, but this was a season that felt like it never lost momentum or direction. This will be the most satisfying for binge viewers who want to take the series in all at once.