“Marvel’s The Avengers” – latest additions to the billionaire club
With just a 50% drop in its box office take from its second-best opening last week, “Marvel’s The Avengers” reached $373.2 million in the U.S. and is closing in on $1 billion worldwide by the end of the day. I continue underestimating how gangbusters this is doing as I’d just figured it would reach the Top 20, but at this rate, it could hit the Top 10 by Monday.
Next up in it’s path are:
16. Spider-Man 2 – $373.3 million
15. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – $377 million
14. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith – $380 million
13. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2 -$380.9 million
12. The Hunger Games - $386 million
11. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen – $402 million
10. Spider-Man – $403 million
What’s really interesting to note here is that besides “The Hunger Games” and “Spider-Man,” the others are sequels to very popular franchises – Star Wars, Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings – that have very devoted fanbases. This would show that Walt Disney/Marvel Studios can almost anticipate an even higher gross for “The Avengers” sequel.