1. Argo – $12.4 million [3rd week; $47.8 million] Ben Affleck’s heavily-buzzzed Oscar movie had been runner-up twice the last two weeks, but the third week proved the right week as it reached the #1 spot. This will be a short-lived stint though with the arrival of family-bait film “Wreck-It Ralph.”
2. Hotel Transylvania – $9.5 million [5th week; $130.4 million] – This animated film won’t die. It debuted in September atop the box office and after falling as low as #5, it’s back to second place. Families probably liked the Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman theme so close to Halloween.
3. Cloud Atlas – $9.4 million [debut week] – Despite a star-studded cast, this mishmash failed to connect with audiences and struggled to overcome two holdovers. This marks another disappointment for the Wachowski siblings, whose last film – the 2008 underperformer “Speed Racer” equally failed to do much beyond making critics consider the Wachoskis one-hit wonders with “The Matrix.” Count the sequels if you must.
4. Paranormal Activity 4 – $8.7 million [2nd week; $42.6 million] All the audiences who wanted to check this got their share last weekend as the former box office champ dropped to fourth place.
5. Taken 2 – $8 million [4th week; $117.4 million] Liam Neeson’s action flick maintains its standing in the Top 5, but this should be the last weekend its in the mix with some strong competitors next week.