1. Doctor Strange – $85 million (debut week) If there were any doubts that Marvel Studios/Walt Disney ran Hollywood, the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe made them vanish like magic. Marvel tried to tamper expectations predicting an opening weekend in the $73 million range.
That makes Doctor Strange the second best Marvel origin film trailing only Iron Man, which kicked off the MCU in 2008 with a $98.6 million debut.
Doctor Strange put a spell on the international market as well grossing $240 million.
2. Trolls – $45.6 million (debut week) The other high profile new release might have been left in the dust by Doctor Strange, but it had a solid opening weekend as well. Trolls had the 14th best opening of the year.
3. Hacksaw Ridge – $14.7 million (debut week) Mel Gibson’s latest war drama received rave reviews from critics. Considering the competition, this was a pretty good opening. Ridge should get a boost if it gets award consideration.
4. Boo! A Madea Halloween – $7.8 million (3rd weekend, $64 million total) The two-time reigning box office champ had a steep drop, but it’s already tripled its $20 million budget making Boo! another big win for creator Tyler Perry.
5. Inferno – $6.2 million (2nd week; $26 million) Tom Hanks’ latest drama has failed to ignite audience interest.